Earlier this week, I posted a fabulously yummy recipe for maple whipping cream I found on the the Pioneer Woman’s blog. I don’t mind using decadent ingredients once in a while but sometimes I want to make pumpkin pancakes with maple whipping cream once a week (okay maybe more), and for that, I wanted a little healthier version to make for my family. I’m trying to teach the kids to make healthy food choices, and to do that, I must lead by example. It’s easy to do when it’s a healthy indulgence. 🙂
A few years ago, I found a recipe on Pinterest for coconut whipping cream. So today, I have adapted a Fall version of the recipe for you. This recipe is a healthier vegan alternative to regular dairy whipping cream you can make using coconut cream.
There are a couple of things that you need to know ahead of time:
- I prefer to use boxed coconut cream or cans that avoid using BPA.
- The coconut cream needs to be full-fat to make it into whipped cream.
- The coconut cream must be placed in the refrigerator overnight.
For coconut whipping cream:
- Cream that settles on top
- Maple syrup to taste (the maple syrup gives it a sweetened flavor and adds a hint of Fall)
- Dash of vanilla
- Place a “full fat” box of Organic Coconut Milk into the fridge for some time or over night. The fat will settle on the top.
- Place the mixing bowl you will be using into the freezer for about 5 minutes prior to using it.
- Scoop out all the thickened coconut cream. Don’t discard the water, use it to drink or put it into a smoothie.
- Add the maple syrup, a dash of vanilla and cinnamon.
- Whip it in a mixing bowl for about 3-5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
You can use this to replace dairy whipping cream in any desert where a hint of coconut would make it taste even better; on coffee, on pies, on ice-cream, on hot chocolate… You get the idea.
To store, place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to about a week. It often firms up so you may need to re-whip before use.
And there it is… an easy, healthy AND yummy vegan alternative whipping cream you can make for your family. Mine love it; I hope yours do too!