Do you have a friend that does so much for you and you just don’t know how to thank them? Or do you know someone who just needs to be loved on? I am blessed with many amazing women in my life and today I will be making one of them a fall book gift-basket.
When making gift-baskets, I try to choose items that will involve as many of the five senses that I can. Then I choose a theme. Focusing on the five senses and having a theme makes it easy to choose items for your basket. You can make a pasta basket, a date-night-out basket, an ice-cream basket…. you get the idea. I enjoy making seasonally themed baskets. Today I am going to explain how I made my fall book gift-basket. This is one of my favorite baskets to make. I love fall….and I love books. So here’s what you do…
- Choose a basket or a container to hold all of the goodies. The options are endless; basket, colander, bucket, crate, bowl, bag, mug, anything that can hold things.
- Select something to see…. I am a lover of books so I am often unable to give a gift without including a book. BUT, I do try to choose the book based on my friend’s likes, what’s happening in her life or her personality. A gift card to Amazon or Barnes and Nobles works well if you want to include a book but don’t know what books they already own or what type of books they like to read. Giving a plant or flower is also a nice gift.
- Choose something to feel or touch…. Include something that brings comfort or coziness. This is easy to do for fall and winter baskets; I often include a blanket, a cozy pair of slippers or socks, or a mug. If you are making a basket for a ” special someone”, you could include a coupon for a massage.
- Include something to smell…. Who doesn’t enjoy smelling a yummy candle or enjoy the ambience that it provides? You could include flowers, body sprays or bath salts as well.
- Include something to taste…. I try to include something they can eat or drink; coffee, tea, fresh fruit or some home-baked goodies. For my gift basket, I made pumpkin whoopee pies with cream cheese filling (recipe will be posted hopefully next week).
- Select something to hear…. You can include music that fits the theme of your basket or the personality of your friend.
- I try to include one item that is personable. If you have a friend who you know likes to write, then you might include a journal or blank notecards. If they like to make crafts you may include water colors or a calligraphy set or a gift card to a craft store. The possibilities here are endless.
- And finally, I include a card, telling that person you are thinking of them or thanking them for something.
I like odd numbers of things so I like to include either 3 or 5 items in the basket. I’m kinda weird like that. Maybe it’s because my birthday is on 2/22 and I have to compensate for all of the evenness in my life. 🙂 Who knows… I just like odd numbers of things.
You don’t have to break the bank to make a basket. Often times you can shop the dollar store, Target’s dollar section, Homegoods, TJ Max or Marshalls to find good deals on items. Home made items are always special to include as well.
So there you have it. Why don’t you think of one person in your life who could use a gift and bring them a basket…